When I started learning to knit (way back in 2004) I thought, well, honestly I thought about it in the stereotypical gee-isn’t-that-something-old-ladies-do way, and when I first went to the class (making felted bag @ my former LYS) I felt completely out of place, the only 20-something in the room.
But then, last year, someone introduced me to Ravelry, and from there, several other knitting blogs.
Sine then, I’ve discovered Oh So Many patterns that were, um, not ur granny’s knitting project. Unless, of course, your granny’s a massive sci-fi fan.
What I’ve found (links to patterns requiring a Ravelry login denoted so: link):
- Super Mario Bros. on an afghan, a scarf, or my favorite, a Goomba hat
- dress a kid (or yourself) like R2D2
- or Yoda ( hat and robe)
- a TARDIS (Doctor Not Included, although you can make Tom Baker’s scarf, and a Dalek is available)
- about fifty versions of Jayne Cobb’s hat
- or, for the truly Old Skool, a little Space Invaders
- or simply a little binary.